Camping Essentials – The ‘must have’ essentials oils when camping or caravanning
Written by: Jodanna Goddard, Mum and Owner of “Five in the Hive”
Camping is a great pastime – but there are often a few annoyances that are an unavoidable aspect of getting out and into nature. (Yes mosquitoes, I am talking about you!) Thankfully, there are some really great, natural ways to deal with a lot of common camping complaints and what’s even better?… they are easy to use, highly effective and surprisingly affordable!
TOP 10 MUST HAVE ESSENTIAL OILS FOR CAMPING
Please note: This list is built upon the tried and tested effectiveness of doTERRA’s Certified Pure, Therapeutic Grade essential oils and it is not to be used as testament for any other brand of essential oil
Lavender is like the Stanley knife of essential oils. It is incredibly versatile. You’re probably thinking about Lavender in relations to calm and relaxation – which it is fantastic for! But did you know that Lavender is also fantastic for:
- Supporting the healing of burns
- Easing any itching or discomfort from insect bites
- Providing antiseptic benefits
- Repelling moths
- Mixed with Lemon and Peppermint, it can provide support for allergies and seasonal threats
- Tea Tree
Tea Tree is known for its ability to support healthy skin. We love finding Tea Tree lakes/ swimming holes to swim in – they are so cool and refreshing. Tea Tree is a must have addition to your natural solutions kit because it:
- Provide antiseptic care for wounds
- Supports healthy skin and nails
- Repels ants
- Great for immune support due to antiviral properties
Frankincense is the “King of Oils” and is amazing for overall health and vitality. Having Frankincense in your camping kit means you have access to:
- Amazing sleep support as it creates a sense of peace and calm
- Skin support, reducing redness in blemishes and scars
- Cognitive support, helping to maintain focus and concentration (think long drives, reversing caravans, site setup)
Helichrysum is great for supporting the healing of wounds. It is a must have essential oil because it helps promote the clotting of blood. So whether you have children that are always coming off their bikes/ scooters or you simply struggle to handle a kitchen knife (yes, I am speaking of myself here) then Helichrysum is a very handy tool to have up your sleeve.
- OnGuard Protective Blend
OnGuard is doTERRA’s protective blend of Wild Orange, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Clove and Cinnamon.
It is a combination of essential oils renown for their ability to support the body’s immunity and fight against seasonal threats. When you thinking of and planning your next holiday, you don’t think about the possibility of falling ill – that would just be a cruel joke! But honestly, it can and does happen. OnGuard is not just a camping must have for our family, it is an ‘all day everyday’ must have – and camping is no exception. Here is how we use it:
- Diffuse daily to fight against airborn pathogens
- Apply topically to support the bodies natural immune defence
- A cleaning disinfectant (clove = mildew, wild orange = grease and grime, eucalyptus = anticpetc properties). Its an all-in-one, easy to use solution
- Digestzen Digestive Blend
Two reason why doTERRA’s digestive blend is a necessary party of my natural solutions kit … (1) over doing it with food and drink, and (2) tummy troubles of the toileting kind. Why? Because ain’t nobody got time to waste their holidays feeling lousy, cramping and uncomfortable!
Ginger, Peppermint, Caraway, Corriander, Anise, Tarragon and Fennel combine as a powerful way to support all facets of digestive discomfort … and because of the Ginger, it is also my go to for clearing my sinuses. I apply it topically along my nasal passage and across my forehead to help break down any stuck mucus and ease my sinus pain.
Lemon is an awesome natural detoxifier. A great way to gently reduce toxins in your body and your environment. It is probably one of THE most versatile oils.
- One or Two drops in a glass of water each morning can kickstart your metabolism and help eliminate toxins in your gut
- Mixed with water and vinegar, Lemon essential Oil is a very effective surface and glass cleaner
- Lemon removes sticky residue left behind my labels, chewing gum, children’s fingers …. The list is endless, kind of like the amount of things that can get sticky!
- Diffused Lemon can help purify the air and fight against airborne pathogens
- It is great support for seasonal threats and associated discomforts
Peppermint is not only fantastic when combined with chocolate *drool* but makes for a fantastic tool when used to:
- Clear head tension and mental fogginess
- Support digestion
- Cool the body (Mix with water in a spritz bottle and store in your ice filled esky for immediate relief from the summer heat)
- Reducing fevers
- Deterring ants, moths and other creepy crawlies
- Sweetness replacement without the sugar or toxic alternatives
- A key ingredient when making your own DIY After-sun spritz and DIY insect repellent
Lemongrass is where citronella comes from … any guesses why this features on the list of top 10 essential oils for camping? Mosquitoes will give you a wide birth when you use this oil in your DIY repellent blend. Lemongrass is also a great option for increasing air purity, reducing inflammation … and giving your hommus and incredible flavour kick!
TerraArmour Outdoor Blend
TerraArmour is a pre-made blend specifically designed as a natural insect repellent. It consists of Ylang Ylang, Cedarwood, Catnip, Lemon Eucalyptus, Litsea, Arborvitae, Nootka, and Vanilla Bean Absolute—all of which possess specific chemical compounds known to protect against environmental annoyances
However, I find that our Aussie mozzies aren’t deterred by this blend 100% of the time so I like to give it an almighty BOOST with these oily extras:
DIY INSECT REPELLENT BLEND
In a 100ml Glass or Aluminium Spritz Bottle add,
- 10 drops of TerraArmout
- 10 drops of Lavender
- 10 drops of TeaTree
- 10 drops of Lemongrass
- 10 drops of Peppermint
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of witch hazel or fractionated coconut oil
- Fill with water.
**NOTE: By adding Lavender and Tea Tree it is not only increasing the effect of repelling insects but it is also providing immediate soothing support for any bites that have or might still occur. I find that if a mosquito was to bite me while I was wearing this repellent , the bite barely forms on my skin due to the healing properties of these oils.
So, you’ve read the blog and you’ve booked your next camping adventure … all that is left to do is GET THE OILS!!
>> SHOP HERE << To get dōTERRA essential oil into your camping kit.
If you’d like more information or assistance in making sure you are getting the oils that are most suited to your needs, then all Plan 2 Camp friends can redeem a FREE ONLINE CONSULTATION by simply contact me through the Five in the Hive Facebook Page